Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Lifetime Movie

*loss and pregnancy mentioned

Two Mays ago running guy and I experienced what I like to call a bad Lifetime Movie. Picture it, the nice couple is anxiously awaiting their first ultrasound. The wife got pregnant on the very first iui try. Her betas doubled and now it's the day of the ultrasound. She is in the stirrups and the nurse practitioner begins the ultrasound. But wait she can't find anything. No sack, no heartbeat nothing. She seems puzzled. The couple exchanges worried looks. What's happening! Then the nurse practitioner finds the heartbeat beating away at the very bottom of the fallopian tube. Had it been a millimeter further along it would have been in the uterus. The heartbeat continues to beat. The nurse practitioner can't turn the machine off and their the couples sits, dumfounded. There is a nice strong heartbeat, but they know that emergency surgery is soon to follow and what the end result will be.

Fortunately, today's ultrasound was also like a Lifetime movie, but a happy one. This time the nice couple sat there and immediately the ob saw the sacs. She zoomed in on the first one and it had a heartbeat of 111 and was measuring 6.1. She zoomed in on the second one and at first didn't see a heartbeat but then zoomed out and saw a nice heartbeat of 118 and it was measuring at 6.1. Such a happier Lifetime movie.

So anyway now I wait for CCRMs take on my results. I wonder if they will be concerned because I should be measuring at 6.3. I think maybe the prednisone could have something to do with it. Also, I am hoping my progesterone, tsh, and estradiol are doing ok. Running guy and I are very happy with the results and my ob seemed to be as well. My ob said I could come back anytime for an ultrasound. She is awesome. I'm hoping that CCRM is as happy with my results as she was.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on two heartbeats!!! Mine were both measuring a few days behind for the first u/s. CCRM thought my results looked great! At my next u/s they were right on schedule and then the next they are measuring ahead! I was on dexamethasone until about 11wks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally normal...its soo soo difficult and so easy for the tech to make even the slightest error on the measurement at this early stage. As long as you got heartbeats...you're good to go!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Congratulations! I had a feeling there were two in there. : ) I am thrilled for you and hope things continue to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! Two heartbeats -- Congratulations! I know how difficult it is to enjoy the moment and not stress, but I hope you have a chance to do just that!

    ReplyDelete