Monday, August 9, 2010

A Vivid Imagination - A Helpful Tool for an Integrin Biopsy

I've always had a vivid imagination. As a student I would always get high marks on creative writing assignments because of my creativity and imagination. On the flip side my vivid imagination has also caused me some trouble. One time as a preteen when I was home alone babysitting my cousins, I thought that the man at the door was trying to break in the house to kill me when in fact it was the florist trying to deliver flowers to my mom for Valentines Day (it was really late and dark and I couldn't see the flowers). I called the neighbor and the poor florist got screamed at by the neighbor to stop harassing us and that's when I discovered that my imagination had run wild. Embarrassing that I was so close to calling the cops on the florist.

Anyway, today I had my integrin biopsy (basically a test that evaluates the uterine lining to see if it's missing something - why implantation isn't happening). I had heard from several girls on a message board that it was an extremely horrible test pain wise. I'm so thankful for people who don't candy coat things. So in my mind I imagined it as the most horrific, painful procedure that I was ever going to have. I envisioned a giant Captain Hook like tool entering my uterus and scooping out a chunk of it and putting it into a container. It was a painful procedure but the pain only lasted for ten seconds. My obgyn had me count to ten where I flopped around like a fish on the table because of the cramping and then it was over. My ob used a small tool (not a hook), and she was great. Do I ever want to have it done again. No! But I am so glad that I was mentally prepared for it.

So now I get to wait for AF to start, so I can begin my birth control pills and get started with my cycle. I am one step closer to the prize!

No comments:

Post a Comment