Sunday, September 12, 2010

Missing Race Day Sign Ups - An Infertility Analogy

For months your friend have been getting ready to run in the marathon (have a baby). They have been training together. They have their perfect race day outfit picked out. They are jazzed and excited about what it coming up. They wish that you could join them. They want you to be a part, but you can't because for some reason you missed the race day sign up. You can't quite fathom it yourself. You were sitting at your computer and tried to register just like all of them did, but for some reason it worked for them and when you hit the registration button the race was full. What baffles you even more is the fact that your one friend who didn't even want to run a marathon logged onto the computer and registered with no problem. You have been running longer than all of your friends, but for some reason you never actually get to compete in the marathon.

It's marathon day, so like a good friend you go and support them. They are excited and you are so excited for them, but you wish that you could run the marathon with them. You know you could run it; if someone would just give you the chance. As you sit there taking pictures you notice there are runners who aren't even trying. Some are quitting; they don't care about being in the race. You think to yourself I wish I could have their spot in this race because I would care and try and give it my all. But alas, you are stuck on the sidelines because for some reason your race registration didn't go through. Other people had no problem registering, but you did.

Now the race is over and your friends are glad that you are there to celebrate. They are encouraging telling you that next time you will get to run with them. You all go to dinner and your friend have on their medals (baby). Several other people are wearing their medals in the restaurant. Everyone is talking about the race and there you sit without a medal because for some reason your stupid internet didn't work. You are going to try to sign up again for the next marathon, but this time you are using a high speed connection (CCRM). Hopefully, that will do the trick.

So I head to CCRM on Tuesday. I'm hoping that CCRM is my high speed internet connection. I am so happy for the people around me who get pregnant and are enjoying their children. I really haven't felt bitterness toward them, but I want to join them in the marathon and get off the sidelines. I am very blessed to have friends who also want me to get off the sidelines and are praying for me and are so encouraging to me during my infertility marathon.

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck Tomorrow! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes with your cycle! Will be following along! Hoping you get off those sidelines and get a medal(s) very soon!!! You're on your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there--just found your blog and am catching up. I'm a runner, too (actually ran Boston this past year) and struggling w/ secondary infertility (had primary infertility, too...son concieved through IVF in 2008). I'll be interested in hearing about your CCRM experience. If this next cycle doesn't work out, I'm thinking we might try there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls for the well wishes! Lindsay, so hoping I get my medal too! Runningmama- loved Boston! It was so fun. My time was horrible but I still had a great time. Ccrm is great so far! I hope your next cycle works for you!

    ReplyDelete